Did I ever mention my love for tomatoes? Well, I just love them on my salad and definitely in my garden. I can recall a lot of recipes my wife cook for me with lots of tomatoes in it. Anyway, let me share to you this healthy recipe from Midwest Living that you might want to try. My wife tried this one too and it really this great. This amazing recipe can be a good side dish for your family to enjoy so better try it out.
2 pounds yellow summer squash, sliced (about 7 cups)
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 14 1/2 – ounce cans stewed tomatoes, drained
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (2 oz.)
1/2 cup finely shredded or grated Parmesan cheese (2 oz.)
- In a Dutch oven, bring 1 inch of lightly salted water to boiling; add sliced summer squash.
- Cover and cook for 4 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, paprika, salt, garlic powder, basil, and pepper; stir in drained tomatoes.
- In a 2-quart square baking dish, layer half of the squash and half of the tomato mixture; repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven for 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheeses; bake for 5 to 10 minutes more or until heated through and sauce is bubbly around the edges.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with a slotted spoon.
- Makes 8 side-dish servings.
“Tomatoes are a treasure of riches when it comes to their antioxidant benefits. In terms of conventional antioxidants, tomatoes provide an excellent amount of vitamin C and beta-carotene; a very good amount of the mineral manganese; and a good amount of vitamin E.”
Recipe credits to : http://www.midwestliving.com/recipe/vegetables/squash-and-tomato-bake